Former Wimbledon champion Conchita Martínez tests positive for coronavirus

Tennis


MADRID — Former Wimbledon champion Conchita Martínez has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Martínez said on social media on Saturday she is in quarantine at a hospital in Doha after the positive test on arrival in Qatar.

Martínez is the coach of former world No. 1 Garbiñe Muguruza, who is set to play at the Qatar Open from Monday.

The 48-year-old Martínez said she was experiencing “mild symptoms” of COVID-19.

“I hope that I can soon be back on this swing of the Middle East tournaments,” Martínez wrote in Spanish. “For now, I will be working via videocalls and connected online constantly with Garbiñe.”

Martínez won Wimbledon in 1994 and helped Spain win five Fed Cups during the 1990s. She was elected to the International Tennis Hall of Fame last year.



Source link

Articles You May Like

Heath Streak handed eight-year ban for breaching ICC's anti-corruption code
Washington Football Team releases TE Thaddeus Moss, son of Hall of Famer Randy Moss
James Vince plunders 168*, Tom Alsop also tons up as Hampshire dominate
Covid-19: Sachin Tendulkar discharged from hospital
Tony Finau gets surprise call from Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Tom Brady during Masters rain delay

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *